Health Care Aide – Dual Credit Program
Would you like to attend college while still in high school? Are you interested in the health care field? Did you graduate from high school last year, but are unsure of the next steps in your academic career and are considering returning for a 4th year of high school? If you have said yes to any of these questions, then the Health Care Aide dual credit program would be perfect for you!
Aspen View Public Schools has partnered with Northern Lakes College to offer a Health Care Aide dual credit program to high school students. Dual credit programs allow high school students to take college courses and earn both high school and post-secondary credits at the same time.
The Health Care Aide dual credit program will prepare students to become vital members of the health care team. Health Care Aides assist professional nurses in providing care for clients of all ages in a variety of settings. Students will receive theory and hands-on training to become certified to work in areas such as acute care or continuing care settings, including long term care, home care, assisted living and more.
What are the Benefits of this Dual Credit Program?
- Upon successful completion of the Health Care Aide dual credit program, students will receive 26 high school credits and will also receive a post-secondary Health Care Aide Certificate.
- Dual credit programs help to prepare high school students for a post-secondary environment and eases the transition from high school to college.
- Many students’ high school grades are positively impacted when they participate in a dual credit program because it highlights the need for education as they consider their future careers.
- The Health Care Aide dual credit program provides a significant savings for students and parent on the cost of tuition because the tuition fees are covered by Aspen View Public School Division from CEU generated funds.
- Time and money invested in education at a post-secondary level can be significant. Exposure to courses earlier on can assist in determining if a specific career is the right choice for a student.
- To register, students must be:
- 16 years and older;
- in grade 11 or grade 12;
- completed at minimum Math 10-C and English 10-2;
- able to commit to engaging in course delivery Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 1:00pm – 3:15pm in term two of the 2018/2019 school year.
- Daily classes are delivered by a Northern Lakes College instructor (a registered nurse) using an interactive online system called Blackboard. The course is also supported by 8 days of face-to-face labs in Slave Lake and a clinical practicum (work experience).
- For more info including course descriptions and application forms, visit the Aspen View Public Schools website here.
- It costs $5118 for a student to take the Health Care Aide Course:
- Aspen View pays for:
- all costs associated with Tuition ($3,068) and Learning Resources fees ($550). Course tuition and the learning resource fee will be invoiced directly to Aspen View Public Schools.
- Students pay for:
- all costs incurred during the labs and clinical practicums at Slave Lake. This cost will not exceed $1500. This cost includes up to 18 days of hotel costs in Slave Lake, supervision and supplies.
- Students are responsible for the costs incurred during their community practicum.
- Students are responsible for food and entertainment costs while in Slave Lake.
- Aspen View pays for:
How Do I Apply?
- Applications are available at all Aspen View Public School high schools or online here.
- Contact Donna Wesley at Aspen View Public Schools at 780-675-7080 ext.05.
- Application deadline: November 23, 2018, but please note, this program fills up fast so please have your application submitted to Donna Wesley as soon as possible.